Last 2 weeks were very productive for the new xquery editor and finally able to get a breakthrough in the project.
I was trying to work out xquery syntax colouring as I thought it is what someone would be expecting first from an editor. So finally it was completed by this weekend and you can see how it is working in the screenshot below.
When first I was thinking how to tokenize the text it was looking pretty gloomy because it would have taken a good amount of time to write ANTLR grammar file, generate tokeninzing scripts and finally fine tune them. But thanks to xqpretty tokenizer it was pretty easy for me to skip first 2 steps and directly go to 3rd step and fine tune it to my needs.
So I tested a good amount with the tokenizer to see whether it meets my requirements for the plugin and also Eclipse standards like license issues (As usual David was a huge help in these matters). Then I had to generalize token types to something around 10 because it was not manageable with more than 100s of token types. After this was done I added required classes to provide text colouring such as PreferenceInitializer and LineStyleProvider. Then with some more bug fixing and mucking around finally got the required result.
But mind you, this is not completely tested nor bug free. I already have a list of bugs to fix regarding text parsing and some more runtime errors. So if you have a thing for xquery and some spare time, grab a copy please and list any error you see in text parsing (For now you will have to grab a copy from SF using the address stated below but I’m now working on an update site for the project so it won’t be that hard then)